We are a neurodiversity affirming therapists. This means that we work from the perspective that:
- Neurodiversity is a natural and valuable form of human diversity.
- The idea that there is one “normal” or healthy” type of brain or mind, or one “right style of neurocognitive functioning, is a culturally constructed fiction, no more valid (and no more conducive to a healthy society or to the overall well-being of humanity) than the idea that there is one “normal” or “right” ethnicity, gender, or culture.
- The social dynamics that manifest in regard to neurodiversity are similar to the social dynamics that manifest in regard to other forms of human diversity (Ex: diversity of ethnicity, gender, or culture). These dynamics include the dynamics of social power inequalities, and also the dynamics by which diversity, when embraced, acts as a source of creative potential.
(Neurodiversity: Some Basic Terms and Definitions, by Nick Walker PhD)
We believe that if your mind and body work differently than those around you, you do not need to be changed or fixed to appear more “normal” or “healthy.” In fact, we believe that such an agenda causes harm and that the majority of the mental health conditions that neurodivergent folks experience are a result of the pressures, treatments, and bullying that force individuals to present as neurotypical.
We study, reflect, and consult with the leaders in this field to ensure we are providing services and supports that are affirming of one’s unique way of being. This work requires extensive and constant learning from autistic and neurodivergent individuals and we seek out feedback and guidance to improve the work we do.
Some of our favorite books, websites, videos and podcasts on neurodiversity and the Autistic experience:
- https://neuroqueer.com : Essays and videos by Dr. Nick Walker, one of the most important thought leaders in this space
- Unmasking Autism by Devon Price : Fantastic book about the high masking autistic experience
- https://aucademy.co.uk. Educational website full of videos and readings on the Autistic experience
- The Autistic Culture Podcast. So much fun and full of insights and content you may LOVE
- The Neurodivergent Woman Podcast Super educational and good discussions about different aspects of neurodivergence
- How to Keep House While Drowning by KC Davis. Great ideas AND funny